RECLAIMED TERRACOTTA TILE INSTALLATION GUIDE
This document is designed as a guidance note for certified trade professionals. Please note that it is essential to wear suitable protective eyewear and clothing when cutting or drying tiles.
1)It is of major importance that the ‘Bruge tiles” are well mixed.
2) The ‘Bruge tiles’ are always laid in irregular bond. That means that entire, half and three-quarter ‘Bruge tiles’ are being laid at random to one’s own taste.
3) We recommend to keep a joint width of 1 (to 2) mm. The ‘Bruge tiles’ are handmade, may differ slightly in size and a good installation will require just a little more attention and time. The laying in irregular bond of the ‘Bruge tiles’ will help to keep the prescribed joint width. This procedure allows to obtain the most authentic outcome with an appearance of the early days.
4) Wet the ‘Bruge tiles’ briefly before installation so that mortar/glue cannot dry too quickly.
5) To be laid in grey mortar bed or in a thick glue of 1cm.
6) It’s appropriate to double-glue the tiles, this means put glue on both the tile and the underground.
7) Joint colour: silver grey or old white. In case of doubt, you may ask the floor layer to perform a sample before jointing the whole surface.
8) The joint can always be 1 mm deeper than the ‘Bruge tiles’, so not level with them. This will keep the shape of the ‘Bruge tiles’ visible whereas the joint remains less apparent.
9) Before starting the jointing work, wet the floor abundantly. Joint small surfaces at once and sweep them off regularly. The ‘Bruge tiles’ are very susceptible to cement grout film and must be cleaned correctly.
10) When the tiles are completely dried out, clean the entire surface (with cement remover when necessary) until all traces of cement are removed. When the floor is fully dry again, please treat the surface with the impregnation product “Remmers Funcosil AG impregnering” or “Lithofin Cotto Pre Wax”. Apply the product twice with a soft painting roller, wet on wet. The product can foam slightly while you are applying it. After treating the whole floor, please polish it with a clean cotton cloth until all stripes have disappeared. Please only walk over the floor after 24 hours.
11) Weekly maintenance with a vacuum cleaner and a nourishing soap (Berdy Topbril or Lithofin Wash & Clean) afterwards.
12) Enjoy the beautiful results
Bert & May | 48 Lots Road | Chelsea | London |SW10 0QD 0203 744 0776 | email@example.com